Which Operation Should I Use to Solve a Word Problem? -- Interactive Anchor Chart

Wanted:  Anchor Chart for choosing the correct operation for problem-solving

As my students and I discuss problem-solving, I have been looking for the “exact right” anchor chart as a visible reference for choosing the correct operation.  I’ve seen anchor charts that address addition vs. subtraction or multiplication vs division but not one that includes all four operations.

Then…

     I was viewing a video on YouTube called, Introduction to The Bar Model (Strip Diagram) - Math Problem Solving Method”.   The anchor chart I’ve been looking for was on the last screen! 


Last screen of video, "Introduction to the Bar Model"

 My rendition

I redrew this to make it larger (and add some color).  Here's what I came up with:


Make it Interactive?     


If you want to make this chart interactive, ask students to write words that helped them choose the correct operation on small sticky notes.  Tack under the appropriate strip diagram.  Words may include:

Total:  whole, biggest, everything, final amount

Addition:  in all, altogether, total, combine, sum, more

Multiplication:  each, equally, times, per, every, share, rate, product

Subtraction:  left, difference, change, how many (much) more, how many (much) less

Division:  each (also used for multiplication), one, divided, part, how many groups? Per (also used in multiplication), quotient

Share your Ideas


Do you have an idea for an anchor chart that illustrates which operation to use?  I’d love it if you would like to share it. 


Thank you for letting me share!


No comments

Powered by Blogger.